Departments - Mental Health Nursing (Psychiatric)
- Apply theories and concepts from a variety of disciplines and cultures in providing care for diverse individuals, families, and communities living with mental health problems.
- Apply factors that create a culture of caring and advocacy while providing care for groups of diverse individuals, families, and communities experiencing mental health problems.
- Provide safe, high quality, and consumer-centered mental healthcare.
- Integrate evidence, clinical judgment, inter professional perspectives, and patient preferences in planning, implementing and evaluating comprehensive mental healthcare.
- Apply self knowledge gained through reflection on one’s own beliefs and values while providing mental healthcare to diverse individuals, families, and communities experiencing mental health problems.
- Practice therapeutic use of self while promoting recovery with diverse individuals, families, and communities experiencing mental health problems.
- Demonstrate collegiality while working as a member of the mental-health care team
- Identify ethics and legalities related to mental health care
- Demonstrate therapeutic communication, including therapeutic use of self
- Take appropriate measures to ensure the safety of clients, yourself, and others
- Admit clients to the psychiatric/mental health unit, including all assessment and documentation
- Develop and implement nursing care plans that meet the needs of assigned psychiatric/mental health clients
- Develop and implement teaching and learning plans that meet the needs of assigned psychiatric/mental health clients
- Develop group therapy leadership skills
- Develop knowledge of psychiatric/mental health adjunctive therapies
- Carry a full client load on the psychiatric unit
- Articulate awareness of standards and scope of practice related to personal level of competency
- Demonstrate safe, competent medication administration
- Develop and implement pre-discharge care plans that meet the needs of psychiatric/mental health clients
- Discharge clients from the psychiatric/mental health unit, following all hospital procedures and documentation requirements
Copyright 2015 © College of Nursing | Sri Ramakrishna Institute of Paramedical Sciences